S. S. Ventura – There must be a Story…

 This angel, body bent in silent mourning, sits atop a gravesite in Oahu Cemetery.

The simple elegance of the angel and her gentle repose offers a beautiful vision to visitors of the cemetery.

Beneath her on the base, a ship sets a course through the waves. The S.S. Ventura.

The Ventura was a part of the Oceanic Steamship Company. Founded by John D. Spreckles & Brothers in 1881, the company provided ocean voyages from the US to the Kingdom of Hawaii and later, other Pacific ports.

The Ventura had 2 funnels, twin screws and could attain a speed of 17 knots. On these voyages, the ship could accomodate 240 1st class passengers and also had room for 2nd and 3rd class as well.

The name Spreckles is well known in Hawaii as the same family was heavily involved in the Sugar industry.


Posted in History, Mourning, Sandwich Islands, Travel | Tagged as: , , | 5 Comments

5 Responses to S. S. Ventura – There must be a Story…

  1. Dan says:

    Am not sure why this image, but perhaps the most famous incident involving the SS Ventura was its August, 1930 mid-ocean rescue of passengers from the sinking RMS Tahiti. So far as I know, all the passengers and crew escaped alive, so why a cemetery remembrance? I assume that there were no other images or inscriptions on the tomb, so the mystery may remain….

  2. Dan says:

    From the Hawaian Star, Aug 12, 1903:
    The remains of the late Miss Juanita Dreier who died 011 the S. S.
    Ventura on the recent trip of the vessel to San Francisco , were
    brought back this morning on the vessel which arrived from San Francisco.
    Miss Dreier, the sister of the dead girl, who was with her at the
    time of her death, did not return to Honolulu, but remained on the
    mainland to go to school. August Dreier, the father of the deceased,
    met the body at the vessel this morning.
    According to statements of officers of the Ventura, Miss Dreier
    was evidently not well when she boarded the Ventura at Honolulu on
    July 21, to go to the mainland to resume her school work. She had
    been sick Here tor some weeks before departing for the mainland. Her
    sickness had not appeared serious, so she was permitted by her physi
    cians to depart. ”
    The second day after leaving Honolulu, she was taken ill. She com
    plained of feeling severe pains in her abdomen. Dr. Clark, the physi
    cians on the vessel, was summoned, and attended her throughout the
    voyage. Her temperature soon dropped. It was considered unwise to
    operate on her. Two other physicians were aboard the vessel and
    they were called into consultation with Dr. Clark. At first the physi
    cians could not diagnose the young girl’s sickness. It was reported to
    them that she had been attacked with appendicitis some time before,
    so they at once surmised, that she was suffering from a second attack
    of the disease. Had it been thought that she could survive the shock
    of an operation, she would have been placed on the operating table on
    the vessel, but her pulse was so low that the physicians decided not to
    operate on her.
    She gradually sank till the evening of July 26, about 8 o’clock, when
    death relieved her sufferings. She died the night before the vessel arrived
    at San Francisco.’ The remains were taken to San Francisco anil
    embalmed. They were sent to Hoonlulu on the Ventura.
    The funeral has not yet been arranged, and will probably not be
    held for several days.

  3. marion wood says:

    Does anyone know if this SS Ventura is the same as the one mentioned in two letters I have from the Oceanic Steam Ship Co to Captain Cowell, Commander of the Ventura, regarding a through connection between the Mauritania and the Ventura for a Mail Test under War Conditions dated Sept and November 1914.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *